MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION AND RENEWAL
There are many benefits to becoming a member of the BCSGA. As the voice of BC Shellfish farmers, we:
- represent our members through communication, research, advocacy and education;
- provide this representation within industry, to various levels of government, to shellfish consumers and the general public. These efforts take place to to strengthen our industry viability, improve prosperity and ensure a viable, sustainable future for the shellfish industry in BC for the benefit of all BC growers;
- sector specific business & technical training and advice;
- a source of local, regional, national and international news of the shellfish aquaculture industry;
- Tidelines quarterly newsletter;
- Email notifications and updates
Our office provides members with:
- Representational support on various topics of interest to the shellfish industry
- Free technical advice
- Promotion of BC shellfish products at trade shows, culinary events, festivals and other opportunities
- Information about new technical advances in the industry, new legislation and marketing opportunities including providing our members with a quarterly industry newsletter
- Reduced insurance rates through our partnership with Coastal Community Credit Union
- Coverage with the province on the Blanket Clean-Up Bond
For existing or new members, you may print off and send us in your renewal form. Click here to open & print a PDF Membership Renewal Form for 2012 / 2013. Additionally, phone in your details to (250) 890 7561, fax it in to (250) 890 7563, or email at to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT BCSGA MEMBERSHIP
The BC Shellfish Grower’s Association has been active since 1948 when it began operation as the BC Oyster Growers Association. Currently the BCSGA represents the majority of the growers, processors, and industry suppliers in BC. The BCSGA is a non-profit association funded solely through membership fees and project revenue. The Association is lead by an elected board of Directors with day-to-day operations being managed by an Executive Director and a Communications Manager. Membership in BCSGA is open to any person or business with a connection to the shellfish industry – growers, suppliers, sellers or those providing goods and services to our sector.
Annual membership in the BC Shellfish Grower’s Association runs from September 1 to August 31 each year. Our annual membership fee is $500. New members joining after March 1 have their fees discounted by 50%. For a membership application, or for further information, contact the BCSGA at email@example.com or by telephoning (250) 890 7561.
OPPORTUNITIES THROUGH MEMBERSHIP
Access to public liability insurance discounts: Coastal Community Insurance Services provides all BCSGA members with substantial reductions in their third party liability insurance premiums, which is required for all BC shellfish tenures. Contact Tove Koper @ (250) 703 4201.
Blanket Bond: As a member in good standing, you will be covered under BCSGA’s performance bond with Land and Water BC.
Networking Opportunities: The BCSGA holds two membership meetings each year, which include an annual general meeting/workshop and a mid-year general meeting. These meetings allow members to connect with others, share ideas and exchange business information. Guest speakers at meetings and other training opportunities also provide relevant business information to you.
Opportunities for Self-Promotion: As a member of the BCSGA you will have direct access almost 200 other individuals and businesses in the shellfish industry, primarily growers. Non-growers have the option to display materials at the annual general meeting and to provide the BCSGA office with information on your products and services so that direct referrals can be facilitated. You may receive a free advertisement in the Tidelines Newsletter, and have a listing on the supplier’s page of our website. Through recognition and membership in the Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise program, all our members are certified through this program for raising a sustainable food product in a sustainable manner.
Membership Newsletter: All members have access to our Tidelines Newsletter (published quarterly), prepared by BCSGA. This newsletter frequently publishes reports and articles written by our members and other submissions on current events and other developments.Tidelines is circulated in hardcopy to the membership, in addition to electronic posting on the website.
Website: Our website is updated regularly. Members may post a classified listing (or any other information) free of charge – contact Matthew Wright by calling 250.890.7561.
A voice in the future: Most importantly, membership in the BCSGA gives you a direct voice in the decision and policy making with both levels of government that help guide the development and growth of the shellfish industry in British Columbia.